This post is also available in: Japanese
This Series was inaugurated in 1999 as a sister series of the Japanese Chiiki-Kenkyu-Sosho. It is a co-production between Kyoto University Press and Trans-Pacific Press of Australia. As with its Japanese counterpart series, it was primarily designed as an outlet for CSEAS faculty’s work. However, after 2000, we have opened it to submissions from area studies scholars from all over Asia. Increasing globalization has rendered all the more important our endeavor to understand the region and to address issues that arise from the region. On the foundation of our accumulated scholarship, this series seeks original contributions to Southeast Asian Studies, and prioritizes scholarly works based on sound research data and discussions with originality from Japan and all of Asia. The refereeing process is carried out by the publications committee of CSEAS, by requesting three top specialists in the field. Production is done by Trans-Pacific Press.
Kyoto University Press:
Yoshida-South Campus, Kyoto University, 69 Konoe-cho Yoshida, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8315, Japan
Tel： +81-75-761-6182 Fax： +81-75-761-6190
Trans Pacific Press:
PO Box 164, Balwyn North, Victoria 3104, AUSTRALIA
Tel: +61 3 9859 1112Fax: +61 3 8611 7989
Kyoto Area Studies on Asia (in English)
25. Grassroots Globalization: Reforestation and Cultural Revitalization in the Philippine.
aaaShimizu, Hiromu. Translated by Alexander Brown. February, 2019.
24. The End of Personal Rule: Golkar and the Transformation of the SUharto Regime.
aaaMasuhara, Ayako. Translated by Yuri Kamada. March, 2015.
23. Politics of Ethnic Classification in Vietnam.
aaaIto, Masako. Translated by Minako Sato. February, 2013.
22. Development Monks in Northeast Thailand.
aaaPinit Lapthananon. February, 2012.
21. Bangsa and Umma: Development of People-grouping Concepts in Islamized Southeast Asia.
aaaYamamoto, Hiroyuki; Anthony Milner; Kawashima, Midori and Arai, Kazuhiro, eds. February, 2011.
20. The Limits of Tradition: Peasants and Land Conflicts in Indonesia.
aaaUrano, Mariko. February, 2010.
19. Re-thinking Economic Development:
aaaThe Green Revolution, Agrarian Structure and Transformation in Bangladesh.
aaaFujita, Koichi. February, 2010.
18. Farming with Fire and Water:
aaaThe Human Ecology of a Composite Swiddening Community in Vietnam’s Northern Mountains.
aaaTran Duc Vien, A.Terry Rambo and Nguyen Thanh Lam, eds. August, 2009.
17. The Rise of Middle Classes in Southeast Asia.
aaaShiraishi, Takashi and Pasuk Phongpaichit, eds. February, 2008．
16. East Asian Economies and New Regionalism.
aaaAbe, Shigeyuki and Bhanupong Nidhipraba, eds. February, 2008．
15. Myths and Realities: The Democratization of Thai Politics.
aaaTamada, Yoshifumi. February, 2008．
14. Living on the Periphery: Development and Islamization among the Orang Asli.
aaaNobuta, Toshihiro. February, 2008．
13. People on the Move: Rural-Urban Interactions in Sarawak.
aaaSoda, Ryoji. February, 2007．
12. Dislocating Nation-States: Globalization in Asia and Africa.
aaaP. N. Abinales; Ishikawa, Noboru and Tanabe, Akio, eds. February, 2005．
11. After the Crisis: Hegemony, Technocracy and Governance in Southeast Asia.
aaaShiraishi, T. and P. N. Abinales, eds. February, 2005．
10. Laying the Tracks: The Thai Economy and Its Railways 1885-1935.
aaaKakizaki, Ichiro. February, 2005．
9. Searching for Vietnam: Selected Writings on Vietnamese Culture and Society.
aaA. Terry Rambo. February, 2005．
8. Ecological Destruction, Health, and Development: Advancing Asian Paradigms.
aaFurukawa, H.; Nishibuchi, M.; Kono, Y. and Kaida, Y., eds. February, 2004．
7. Between Hills and Plains: Power and Practice in Socio-Religious Dynamics among Karen.
aaHayami, Yoko. February, 2004．
6. The Political Ecology of Tropical Forests in Southeast Asia: Historical Perspectives.
aaLye T-P, W. De Jong, Abe K., eds. February, 2003．
5. Practical Buddhism among the Thai-Lao: Religion in the Making of a Region.
aaHayashi, Yukio. February, 2003．
4. Gender and Modernity:Perspectives from Asia and the Pacific.
aaHayami, Y.; Tanabe, A. and Tokita-Tanabe Y., eds. February, 2003．
3. Commodifying Marxism: The Formation of Modern Thai Radical Culture, 1927-1958.
aaKasian Tejapira. December, 2001．
2. One Malay Village: A Thirty-Year Community Study.
aaTsubouchi, Yoshihiro. December, 2001.
1. The Nation and Economic Growth: Korea and Thailand.
aaYoshihara, Kunio. February, 1999．