This post is also available in: Japanese
This Series was inaugurated in 1999 as a sister series of the Japanese Chiiki-Kenkyu-Sosho. It is a co-production between Kyoto University Press and Trans-Pacific Press. As with its Japanese counterpart series, it was primarily designed as an outlet for CSEAS faculty’s work. However, after 2000, we have opened it to submissions from area studies scholars from all over Asia. Increasing globalization has rendered all the more important our endeavor to understand the region and to address issues that arise from the region. On the foundation of our accumulated scholarship, this series seeks original contributions to Southeast Asian Studies, and prioritizes scholarly works based on sound research data and pathbreaking discussions from Japan and all of Asia. The refereeing process is carried out by the publications committee of CSEAS, who commission at least three top specialists in the field as evaluators. Production is done by Trans-Pacific Press.
■Kyoto University Press:
Yoshida South Campus, Kyoto University, 69 Konoe-cho Yoshida, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8315, Japan
Tel: +81-75-761-6182 Fax: +81-75-761-6190
■Trans Pacific Press:
2nd Floor, Hamamatsu-cho Daiya Building, 2-2-15 Hamamatsu-cho, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-0013, Japan
29. At the Edge of Mangrove Forest:
The Suku Asli and the Quest for Indigeneity, Ethnicity, and Development
28. Bali and Hinduism in Indonesia: The Institutionalization of a Minority Religion
27. Violence and Democracy: The Collapse of One-Party Dominant Rule in India
26. Conceptualizing the Malay World: Colonialism and Pan-Malay Identity in Malaya
25. Grassroots Globalization: Reforestation and Cultural Revitalization in the Philippine
SHIMIZU Hiromu; Translated by Alexander Brown
24. The End of Personal Rule: Golkar and the Transformation of the Suharto Regime
MASUHARA Ayako; Translated by Yuri Kamada
23. Politics of Ethnic Classification in Vietnam
ITO Masako; Translated by Minako Sato
22. Development Monks in Northeast Thailand.
21. Bangsa and Umma: Development of People-grouping Concepts in Islamized Southeast Asia.
YAMAMOTO Hiroyuki; Anthony Milner; KAWASHIMA Midori; and ARAI Kazuhiro, eds.
20. The Limits of Tradition: Peasants and Land Conflicts in Indonesia.
19. Re-thinking Economic Development: The Green Revolution, Agrarian Structure and Transformation in Bangladesh
18. Farming with Fire and Water: The Human Ecology of a Composite Swiddening Community in Vietnam’s Northern Mountains
Tran Duc Vien; A.Terry Rambo; and Nguyen Thanh Lam, eds.
17. The Rise of Middle Classes in Southeast Asia
SHIRAISHI Takashi; and Pasuk Phongpaichit, eds.
16. East Asian Economies and New Regionalism
ABE Shigeyuki; and Bhanupong Nidhipraba, eds.
15. Myths and Realities: The Democratization of Thai Politics
14. Living on the Periphery: Development and Islamization among the Orang Asli.
13. People on the Move: Rural-Urban Interactions in Sarawak
12. Dislocating Nation-States: Globalization in Asia and Africa
P. N. Abinales; ISHIKAWA Noboru; and TANABE Akio, eds.
11. After the Crisis: Hegemony, Technocracy and Governance in Southeast Asia
SHIRAISHI Takashi; and Patricio N. Abinales, eds.
10. Laying the Tracks: The Thai Economy and Its Railways 1885-1935
9. Searching for Vietnam: Selected Writings on Vietnamese Culture and Society
A. Terry Rambo
8. Ecological Destruction, Health, and Development: Advancing Asian Paradigms
FURUKAWA Hisao; NISHIBUCHI Mitsuaki; KONO Yasuyuki; and KAIDA Yoshihiro, eds.
7. Between Hills and Plains: Power and Practice in Socio-Religious Dynamics among Karen
6. The Political Ecology of Tropical Forests in Southeast Asia: Historical Perspectives
Lye Tuck-Pro; W. De Jong; ABE Ken-ichi, eds.
5. Practical Buddhism among the Thai-Lao: Religion in the Making of a Region
4. Gender and Modernity:Perspectives from Asia and the Pacific
Hayami, Yoko; TANABE Akio; and TOKITA-TANABE Yumiko, eds.
3. Commodifying Marxism: The Formation of Modern Thai Radical Culture, 1927-1958
2. One Malay Village: A Thirty-Year Community Study
1. The Nation and Economic Growth: Korea and Thailand